Monday, November 29, 2010

the horror of the BALL chain

1. Learn from every experience

Creating a light fixture made me realize more about my surroundings. Studying interior design is more complex than people can imagine. I use lights in my design everyday, but not till now did I know how they are made and what the importance of each fixture I come across really is.

2. Following is not copying, it is learning.

When designing this light fixture I looked at many different designs and came across Hudson Furniture Inc. I was blown away by the abstract contemporary design and wanted to recreate my own version of it.

3. You grow from failure.

This light was not a complete success. I wish I had added more ball chain and also wish I was more careful when spray painting the mdf board. If I were to make another light fixture I would use different type a wood and make the ball chain more spontaneous.

4. Never hesitate to say what you think or feel. Someone will connect.

When learning how to use the tools in the shop in order to create this light fixture. There were a lot of things said and done within that room that helped our class as a hole get through the difficulties of the project.

5. Go above and beyond when you have it in you.

When creating a sample model of this fixture. I took it upon myself to install a mini LED light on my model in order to allow my class and professor to comprehend what I was trying to show with my design and why I chose those materials.

6. Determine your own Style.

The style of my light speaks for itself. I tend to stay close to the clean edges, right angles, and contemporary look.

7. Take Risks and Be Proud of them.

When physically putting the fixture together, I wasn’t really sure going into it what and how I would put all of the pieces together with. I kind of just went into it clueless, asked questions, and learned along the way.

8. Walk in someone else’s footsteps while creating your own.

Like stated before, I loved ideas from Hudson Furniture Inc. and applied some of their ideas to my own design.

9. Don’t ponder if there’s nothing there. Be adventurous, then return.

During the design process, this got very complicated and tiring. I took some time off did other work and then came back to tackle the obstacles.

10. If you’re not into it, don’t do it. Start over.

When creating the light fixture, I went through 3 different ways of attaching the ball chain to the wood in a clean manner without making the mounting obvious. All 3 ways worked, but only the last one was what I wanted it to be.

11. Being serious about your work isn’t always necessary.

The stress within this time allowed me to do what is always do with my peers. Make jokes and eventually get it done.

12. Who makes the rules? Who said they were true? NOT ME.

Using ball chain for my light fixture completely contradicted the normal use for ball chain in the world. I don’t really care what its for. It looks good.

13. Stressing isn’t accomplishing, smiling is always rewarding.

Like I said, I was stressed and worried. Taking a break helped. But being there with people that were in the same position as me, were there to help me, and people that understand me, was the most amazing part of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment