Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Application of manifesto

My first attempt at creating my own, unique light fixture.

I will get it done, I always get it done.

Of course there was a project due in every class the same week my…light fixture was due. I had designed a pretty interesting light fixture, an “illuminarium”, a light that essentially backlights rocks, water, and bamboo. The fixture was designed as a box within a box, the inner box made of milky plexi-glass conceals the light while the outer box supports rocks, water, and bamboo. This aesthetic seemed impossible to achieve; I had to laser cut the plexi to the exact dimensions, wire a light, construct a base, and somehow finish all this within a weeks time while I had all this other work to do! I was excited about the illuminarium, but I felt like as though this task was impossible. By repeating this mantra, “I will get it done, I always get it done”, I was able to complete the project calm and collected with only minor freak out moments. This mantra helps center my focus to the task at hand instead of filling my head with negative thoughts.

I will never settle for anything less than my personal best.

This was the first time I had ever used the laser cutter, every worked with plexi-glass, ever wired a light fixture, and ever used solvent weld. I gave each of these tasks my 100% full attention and although the outcome is not perfect, I tried my best and look forward to practicing my new skills on future project.

Design is always incomplete.

The design of my light fixture could absolutely be stretched and molded into something more, but it was modified to fit the requirements and time constraints.

Make marks with intention.

Every wall of the light fixture is measured with precision and accuracy, to fit together perfectly and seamlessly.

Respect the process.

The process of making is long and tedious, but without it there would be no product. Pressure and anxiety weigh down on the process; it is the entity responsible for creating a masterpiece.

I will make mistakes, but I can prevent them by learning from other peoples experiences.

Learning how to wire a light fixture, need I say more?

You cannot make informed decisions without understanding history.

Why bamboo? Because it is one of the only plants that can grow with minimal sunlight and no dirt. Therefore, the light fixture does not need to be adjacent to a window; that would defeat the purpose of making a light fixture in the first place.

If you do not stop for a minute, you might miss something.

I almost messed up my project completely by measuring out the wrong dimensions on the laser-cutting template in AutoCAD. This would have been really, really BAD because I had a limited amount of material and time was running out. If I did not take the time to check my measurements, I would have ruined an entire sheet of plexi-glass.

Multidisciplinary actions are Design Thinking.

We did not only design a light fixture, we created it!

These points will change as I change.

There will be additional points added to this list as I develop my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment