Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Application of my Manifesto

Designing and building my first light fixture.

Design should be non-derivative.

My light design was adapted through out the process of making, due to the materials I had. Originally I had designed a modern piece that was a metal perforated cylinder with an acrylic piece wrapping around the form defusing the light. From the original concept I wanted to keep the defused light appeal yet my design changed completely. My light became a rustic cylindrical form with hand applied detailing. I took my inspiration from Moroccan lanterns. I made my own version by modernizing it with a metal application of green leafing, and keeping a rustic hand crafter feel with hand drilled holes.

Design is freedom to consider new forms and materials-but should always remain true to function.

I knew from the start I wanted to use metal to be the main form of my piece. Metal has always interested me after taking jewelry and metalsmithing freshmen year. I’ve always been interested in patinas, I love how the application of a chemical changes the look of the metal through oxidation. Patinas are a wonderful way to freely change the appearance of metal, while still remaining true to its function. My intentions with this piece was to use the patina liver of sulfur to change the silver metal to look purple and gold colored, but due to time constraints and the complexity of the green leafing that I used instead I felt that the piece looked as I wanted it to and the application of patina in this case would be too much. However, the application of green leafing is still considering new materials and adapting an original form while remaining true to the function of the metal.

The ultimate goal of design, and all creative things, is to bring happiness to people’s lives.

My light was meant to be defused and dim, it is mood lighting. A defused and romantic warm light will set a comforting, and relaxing mood for the user, staying true to my goals of bring happiness to ones life.

What you take from life-your experiences, your drive for knowledge, your devotion-is what you get out of life.

I pushed myself with this project. Building and wiring a light is something I have never done before. What I did for this project, and what I explored in this project are things that I will take along with me and hopefully experiment and explore lighting design further.

The product is not the end in itself but a gateway to a plethora of experiences.

Design is never complete. My light is just the beginning of what it could be if I were to push the design much further. Looking back at this project there are things I would change.

I believe that too often technology hinders, rather than helps. Designers mustn’t even lose site of the hand.

Craft is a way for one to express oneself. I made this light completely by hand, with the minimal help of a drill to make the punctures. I feel that it’s very important as a designer to never lose site of craft. Handcraft techniques are as equally as important as meticulous design techniques.

Process is one of the most important elements of design. The process is the product.

I changed my idea many times throughout this process. The process is the product; my light went from a modern silver metal cylinder with an acrylic piece wrapping around to defuse the light to a rustic, handcrafted mood light.

Make mistakes. It’s the best way to learn.

This project had its own forms of trial and error, as any project does. The puncture design was originally very straight forward and perfectly copied all the way around the cylinder. The use of hand drill and not laser cutting the design out of the metal caused the punctures to be random and free willed as apposed to perfect. I’ve learned from this that new techniques needed to be explored in order for the product of this project to end up as it was originally designed. I’ve learned from my mistakes and actually have learned to love them, they were actually positive mistakes and risks that I took along the process to come out with a beautiful product.

No comments:

Post a Comment